Re: shutdown&power off for ordinary users

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 12:36:34PM +0100, A.E. Roy wrote:
> I´m running 2.2 with two users, #1 has the rootpassword, #2 don´t. When #2 is finnished using the machine, he does a logout, and the machine reboots, he then turns the power off, and when restarting it all the partitions has to be cheched because they weren´t cleanly unmounted. How to I make #2 able to cleanly unmount?
> Thanks in advance.

please wrap your lines at something reasonable say 72 char.

run visudo and add the following:

Cmnd_Alias      SHUTDOWN=/sbin/shutdown -h now
Cmnd_Alias      REBOOT=/sbin/shutdown -r now

username	hostname=SHUTDOWN,REBOOT

then this user will be allowed to run `sudo shutdown -[hr] now' which
will shutdown or reboot the machine correctly.

you can use shell scripts to simplify this for the user, if you don't
want to require the user's password to perform the shutdown change the
last line to:

username	hostname=NOPASSWD: SHUTDOWN,REBOOT

if you don't have sudo installed, apt-get install sudo.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/