RE: Lilo Question

Hi,

> After hours and hours of aggravation I was finally able to get both
> Windoze and Debian installed on my wife's compaq presario. Because of
> partioning problems (I think) I had to install win98 in the first
> partition and it finally worked fine. I will copy some of the files from
> the CD to drive, as suggested by folks here on the list.

Everyone goes through this, its a rite of passage. :)

> My problem now is that when I installed and configured the kernel for
> libranet debian, it overwrote the mbr and now I can't boot windoze from
> the hd. Lilo just gives me linux.
>
> I will get to the man page as soon as I'm not so tired, in the meantime,
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1.) Can I use the Liloconfig tool to include windoze in my lilo
> configuration. I know this is a dumb question, I'm just overly cautious
> about blowing my /mbr because I have a LS-120 floppy drive that so far
> has not allowed me to make any boot floppies. I also have linuxconf on
> the machine.

i don't know about liloconfig.  but if you add these lines to your
/etc/lilo.conf file, you should have no problems

other=/dev/hda1
	label=windows

and rerun /sbin/lilo to rewrite the changes.  that is assuming windows is on
the first hard drive (hda), partition 1.

> 2.) Because of this lack of boot floppies, is there a bullet-proof way
> to configure LILO for both OS's?
>
> thanks

hope that helps.

Jason