Re: dselect problem

"Javier Sieben" <jsieben@netverk.com.ar> writes:

> I have a problem with dselect (or was the dependencies involved). I
> would use the libesd0-alsa that provides libesd0 and conflicts with
> libesd0.  That's Ok. I deselect libesd0 and select for install the
> alsa part. And then dselect follow the dependencies and displays
> that gtop and others packages from Gnome was for removal. When I
> reselect these packages, dselect deselects the libesd0-alsa. How can
> use these library? I have a SondBlaster Live! and can't use it.

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago.  Just try a search in
the mailing list archive at http://www.debian.org.

The problem seems to be that libesd-alsa0 provides only "libesd0" and
some packages (like xtux) depend on a specific version of libesd0.  As
libesd-alsa0 doesn't provide a specific version number, dpkg tries to
replace it with the "real" libesd0.

My solution to the problem was to simply do nothing.  I too use ALSA
and libesd0 works fine for me.

hope this helps,
Christoph