Re: Applying LFS patch kernel + glib

In article <[🔎] 001701c05b11$764cf320$0200000a@coreco.co.uk>,
Robin Collins <robin@robinc.plus.com> wrote:
>I want to apply the large file system (LFS) patch to 2.2.14 and
>glibc-.2.1.3.  I'm happy with the kernel bit but not the glibc.

You are using the patch from Andrea Archangeli right, from SuSe.
There is another one around that is not compatible with the 2.4.x
series while the one from Andrea is (well, AFAIK that is)

>Clearly I can get the source of Debian, apply the LFS patch and re-build,
>but I'm very wary of re-building glib for obvious reasons.

It takes a lot of time but it isn't rocket science.

>Alternatively, there's a .RPM for RedHat which I could install.

Getting that to work _would be_ rocket science ;)

>My question is: which is the lesser of these two evils?

Get the Andreas/suse LFS patch, build a new kernel, boot it.
Then get the glibc 2.2 sources from woody (I don't think 2.1.3 from
potato has all it takes for complete LFS support, I could be wrong)
and build it with the header files from the new kernel, or from the
most recent 2.4 kernel.

I haven't done this yet but I am playing with the idea...

>BTW, I must use 2.2.14 due to massive corruption problems with
>2.2.17/NFS/loop/crypto which I don't get with 2.2.14.

Tried 2.2.18pre24 yet? If you're still experiencing problems
with that version, now is the time to post your debug messages
to the linux-kernel mailinglist so that someone can fix it
before the real 2.2.18 gets released.

Mike.