Applying LFS patch kernel + glib

I want to apply the large file system (LFS) patch to 2.2.14 and
glibc-.2.1.3.  I'm happy with the kernel bit but not the glibc.

Clearly I can get the source of Debian, apply the LFS patch and re-build,
but I'm very wary of re-building glib for obvious reasons.

Alternatively, there's a .RPM for RedHat which I could install.

My question is: which is the lesser of these two evils?

I've never built glibc before so have no ideas what dependencies it has,
what "gotchas" there are etc.  Conversely, applying a non-Debian package to
something critical like this is also risky.

I'd appreciate help in deciding which route to take.

Cheers,
Robin Collins

BTW, I must use 2.2.14 due to massive corruption problems with
2.2.17/NFS/loop/crypto which I don't get with 2.2.14.