Re: unzip - again

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 02:28:51PM -0000, Alistair Whittle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using 'apt-get install zip' worked like a charm to install the zip package.
> However, using the 'unzip' variant, the following error occurred: "Package
> unzip has no available version, but exists in the database.   This typically
> means that the package was mentioned in a dependancy, but was never
> uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the sontents of
> sources.list."

unzip is not truly free, so it ain't part of Debian pure.
Try adding non-free to your default deb line in your /etc/apt/sources.list:

### Standard deb entry
deb file:/debian/debian potato main non-free contrib

And if you want to unzip encrypted files too using, unzip-crypt, add the
following lines too to get access to US export restricted goodies:

### Non US things
deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free

And whilst you're at it, add the folowing security/upgrades related ones:

### The Proposed Updates
deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian dists/potato-proposed-updates/
deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian dists/potato-proposed-updates/

### And Proposed Updates non-US
#deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian-non-US dists/potato-proposed-updates/

> I am an NT person, and Linux is completely new to me.   Any ideas?

it once was for all of us and the NT part we forgive you,
so welcome to the gang:)