Re: installation problem

on Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 09:38:22AM +0100, Miro Maher (mmaher@generali-skb.si) wrote:
> This is a repost. There was no reply to original question -
> it was probably overlooked in the high volume of other messages :-(
> Any hint in the right direction would be highly appreciated please ...
>
> > I am trying to install Debian 2.2 linux - standard kernel package -
> > to an old IBM PC server 500 - that is a Microchannel machine. After
> > booting from rescue floppy I use command:
> >
> > floppy0 no-hlt mca-pentium
> >
> > After a while the system stops after finding the SCSII adapter with
> > following messages:

> > IBM MCA SCSI: Version 3.1e
> > IBM MCA SCSI: <snip> .... controler found, io=0x3540 ... <snip>
> > IBM MCA SCSI: Removing default logical SCSI-device mapping.
> > IBM MCA SCSI: Probing SCSI devices.
> > IBM MCA SCSI: ERROR - command error!
> >               Last SCSI command=0x40e, ldn=15, host=0
> > IBM MCA SCSI: Subsystem error-status follows:
> >               Command type ...............: 10
> >               Attention register .........: ef
> >               Basic control register .....: 3
> >               Interrupt status register ..: ef
> >               Basic status register ......: 4
> >               Send report to the maintainer.
> > Kernel panic: IBM MCA SCSI: Fatal error from subsystem
> > In interrupt handler - not syncing.

Looks like configuration or probing of your SCSI adapter is failing.
I'd check lists for specific issues on this card.  You have the option
to specify both kernel modules and device probing during the
installation process, I'd check lists and/or Usenet for configuration
issues specific to this card.

Sorry, no specific advice on your card...BTW, you don't specify what the
SCSI card is.  This would be useful.

No specific data on Microchannel, but IIRC that's *seriously* old.  What
CPU and/or vintage is this box?