Re: nfs problems - read/write, restarting nfs_damon

On Thursday 30 November 2000 12:07, robert_wilhelm_land wrote:
> two linux boxes are connected via nfs to each other:
>
> MINI (kernel_2.2.17) <----------> GOOFY (kernel_2.0.38)
>
> the /etc/exports on GOOFY:   /home/rland MINI(rw)
>

> After rebooting I do a
> MINI:/home/rland# mount -t nfs GOOFY:/home/rland ./testdir
>
> after this ./testdir changes from:
> drwxr-sr-x    2 rland    rland        4096 Nov 30 18:38 testdir
> drwxrwxr-x   24 1001     users        4096 Nov 27 12:17 testdir

You have the user and group "rland" on one of the computer, but not on the
other.  The 1001 is a user number, and that machine has no user associated
with that number.  Look into NIS (I've never used it, but it's the thing you
want) to keep both machines' /etc/group and /etc/passwd files the same (it's
nice in that you get to change the password for a user only once, but both
machines will use that new password).

If you don't want to mess with that, then you have to "adduser rland" on the
machine where that user doesn't exist.  Any other users you add will have to
be added to both machines  (in the same order, numbers are assigned
first-come, first-served) to keep this stuff in sync.  I do this at home,
because it's just me and my wife.

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.