Re: Help: Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled

a  <softguy@citiz.net> writes:
a> I have Debian 2.0 and Intel Pentium 100 and notice the following message
a> when booting Debian:
a>
a> Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled
a>
a> Does it means that I have a buggy chip? How to verify that and find more
a> info?

In fact, you do have a buggy chip.  There's some eight-byte
instruction sequence (beginning with the two bytes F0 0F) that, if
allowed to complete, will cause the system to lock up hard.  The Linux
kernel has had a patch to fix this for a long time, though; you
shouldn't worry about it.

You might try 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' to see what else Linux has to say
about your CPU; if it's sufficiently old, it might have the famed FDIV
bug, too.  :-)

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell