Re: coping with a high-volume mailing list (like this one)?

"Hubert Chan" <hackerhue@crosswinds.net> writes:
>  Adam> does it support disconnected mode imap?  that is my one big remaining
>  Adam> gripe about pine (and as far as i know mutt's imap support is more
>  Adam> primitive then pines still).

> You mean downloading messages from IMAP locally?  Yup.
> Unfortunately, I found that its IMAP support (at least when I tried
> it, a few months back) didn't work that great with non-INBOX
> folders.  I don't know if it was a problem with gnus, or my mail
> provider (MyRealBox.com), but I assume that if you're downloading
> your messages, you won't really care about IMAP folders.
>
> But, like the other guy said, it's not for newbies.  Getting it set
> up properly can take a while.  And make sure you read the info file.
> And then read it again, to find out about all the cool features that
> it has.

Yeah, it's not fun to set up.

I guess I'm not clear what Adam meant by "disconnected mode"? I
assumed that he did NOT want to download the mail locally, but wanted
the email to remain on the IMAP server. That's what I assumed in my
previous answer which, again, is that gnus will definately let you
keep your email on the remote IMAP server and let you manipulate
remote folders and move mail around in them and I haven't had any
problems with non-INBOX folders.

I would assume that if you didn't want to leave the mail on the remote
server you'd just use fetchmail to download it, although, I *think*
gnus has it's own software to download the mail if that's what you
want.

Gary