Re: s3virge server crashes

on Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 07:49:07PM +0100, Bernhard Josef Rieder (bernhard@ratte.dhs.org) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have some trouble with my s3v graphics card.
> When I start some applications, then X server crashes.
> This happens not for all applications but it happens
> for most of them. The error is reproducible and I think
> some X-library that uses a special Function that is not
> supported by the s3virge driver is the source of all
> problems since I get this message:
>         This should not happen!
> 		An unresolved function was called!
>
> Applications that work:
>   gtkfontsel (not gfontsel!), xterm
>
> Applications that don't:
>   xedit, netscape, gvim, ....
>
> Am I the only person having still an s3v-card or am I the
> only person having this f***ing error?

Which X Server?

Using XFree86 3.3.6, I use the XF86_S3V driver, rather than the SVGA
driver recommended in the docs.  I've heard inconsistant results from
the SVGA driver going back some time.  Card is a 4 yo Gateway OEM ViRGE
VX.

Though from what you say, your card probably doesn't have anything to do
with this.