ssh error - no controlling tty

Hello,

I have a debian potato system running in a cobalt raq 3.  All is working 100% except ssh.  When I
try to ssh from my box to localhost or anywhere else I get the error "You have no controlling tty.
Cannot read passphrase"  Please remember that I do not have a physical /dev/tty1 becuase the MB in
the cobalt box does not have a keyboard or mouse slot at all.   Thank you in advance for any and all
insight you might be able to provide me.

Andrew