Low Sound Volume

Hi guys,

Need some help....I have an Opti sound card...detected
under Windows as that and it works fine in
Windows....under Debian i've installed MAD16 as the
driver....lsmod shows MAD16, UART401, ad1848, sound,
soundcore, soundlow....when I use play to play a wav
file...I can hear the sound only if I turn up the
volume right to full (it works fine in Windows)....and
if I use the -v option of play with values even as
high as 1000 or 10000 the volume increases just a
little but there's a lot of noise....even if I'm not
trying to play wav files with play i have similar
results.

I have tried meddling with sound card setups using
isapnp and isapnp.conf....but now I've removed any
isapnp.conf file....the results remain.

If I try to cat /dev/sndstat, this is what i get:

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux debian 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST
2000 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: MAD16 WSS (82C930) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: MAD16 WSS (82C930)

Also during bootup the sound drive says that the CD is
disabled and MIDI is not configured correctly....I'm
using IRQ 5, IO= 0x534.

Please I dont know what else to do....help would be
appreciated.

Thanks ppl