Re: Q: Why 24 depth/not 32?

On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 10:07:27PM +0100, Jonathan Gift wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've set up XF86Config to run at 32 bits, which my ATI Xpert&Play 98
> accepts in W98SE. Only when I use xwininfo I see that I'm still running
> at 24 depth. Since I know my card accepts this, is it Blackbox, or does
> it default to 24?

This threw me too.  This X 4, right?  Well, there's more than one 24
depth, including one at 32 bpp. Confused?  If you look at
/var/log/XFree86.0.log (or some such), you can peruse what it thinks.
There is no 32 depth anymore (though there are options for specifying
32bpp in a couple places).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>