Re: lprng and magicfilter problem

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 08:26:18PM +1030, Paul Schulz wrote:

Hi,

> I have set lprng and magicfilter up on a server to print to a "HP
> Laserjet 6p", a non-postscript printer.  Works well when I print from
> this host. (I've set the magicfilter to 'ljet2p'.)
>
> I set up my laptop to talk to print to lp@server, and it does, but
> magicfilter doesn't process this postscript that it sends, and passes
> it directly to the printer (which spits it out as stepped text, not
> recognising the !%.)
That's ok.

> Why is this happening?  Why isn't the postscript being processed by
> magicfilter on the server?  Standard stable (potato) Debian
> installation on both..
The filter uses a lot of CPU time so an old 486er box is running into
problems when 5 people think about printing their a 200 site manual
for M$ Windos.
So we will convert everything on the AMD Athlon 800 Workstations
with 256MB RAM and not on this old box with its 16Megs.
Then this old box only transfairs the ready to print files to the
printer.

> I don't want to have to install (not that it's overly difficult)
> magicfilter on all the workstations.
Read the lprng HowTo on www.lprng.org and search for lpd_bounce.
Think this solves your problem.

Ok. I'll try it know with samba. Hope it works.
Good luck.

Cu,
Sven