Re: XFree86 + NV_GLX

    Okay, if you've read any of my older postings, you'll realise that
installing the GLX drivers is a snap (if you know what your doing).
    First, go to NVidia's web and download the GLX and NVidia Drivers.  From
the main screen, click on products, then drivers, then linux.  That should
get you to them.
    After you've downloaded them, put them both into your /usr/src
directory.  Then tar -xzvf NV(driver name) and then tar -xzvf NV(GLX).
    Go into the newly made NV(driver name) directory and type "make".  "cd
.." and then go into the GLX directory.  Type "make" again.
    Okay, here's where things got a little bit tricky for me.  First, type
"dexter" and setup your config (if the "nvidia" driver isn't listed, just
use the "nv" driver for now.)  MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT WHAT DEXTER WRITES THE
CONFIG SCRIPT TO!!!  I spent who knows how long "debugging" my box's X
config file (/etc/X11/XF86Config) only to find out later that dexter had
changed it to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  I set it everything right.  I was just
using the wrong config file.
    Next, check out your /etc/modules.conf file.  Make sure it says
something in there about "alias char-major-195 NVdriver" or something like
that.  If it isn't there then go into the directory
/lib/modules/your-kernel-version/video (or do a "locate NVdriver" to tell
you where it is other than in the /usr/src/NVdriver directory.)  After you
get there "mv NVdriver NVdriver.o".  Then do a "modconf".  Go into video and
select the NVdriver module.  It should install just fine.
    After doing that (*gasp* *gasp* *breathe* . . . quick rest ... ok, I'm
back) then edit whichever config file dexter wrote to.  If you use vi, open
in up and type "/".  Then type "nv" and press return.  It should find you
where in the script it sets which driver to use.  (The nv should be in
parentheses.)  Replace "nv" with "nvdriver".
    Now, if your not already in X, do a "startx".  If you are in X, reset it
(Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.)  Hopefully it should run just fine.  If it doesn't ...
just tell me, I should be able to help.
    Play Quake.  Have fun?  Does it run slow?  If it does, you still have
some mesa drivers lying around.  Do the following commands :

rm /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a
rm /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a
rm /usr/lib/libGL.so
rm /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so*
rm /usr/X11R6/lib/libGLcore.so*

    Then, go back into /usr/src/NV(GLX) and type make.  Reset X and it
should work fine.

    Enjoy Quake :),

    Brandt Dusthimer