potato-n-woody side by side?

Hi,

My history with woody is checkered. The first time I upgraded from potato
I had *no* problems apart from having to wait for everything to download
and unpack, etc. I finally sank what was a decently-working woody system
by opening dselect in a spirit of "oh, what's THIS for" and mucking
everything up.

Since then, all my efforts to upgrade to woody have been disastrous: I
couldn't get X to boot because of a missing default 'cursor' font; I
somehow couldn't backspace in X; certain packages would refuse to
configure completely, and so on and so on and so on.

Anyway, I'd like to: split up my main partition and install woody "next
to" potato, so I always have a solid working version. I believe that with
30G I should have enough room... I was wondering whether anyone's used GNU
parted & can report on its reliability ...

A stupid idea? I've gotten the reinstallation of potato (following a woody
tangle) down to a matter of flying fingers, but it sure still feels like a
lot of wasted time, especially when I have work pending. But I want some
of the stuff in unstable ... and every time I try to set it up, I learn
something.

Thanks in advance for feedback or psychoanalysis.

Cheers,

Glenn

// G l e n n  B e c k e r                                                |

// "Daughter don't yuh dare                                              |
// Oh momma who cares                                                    |
// It's the blimp, it's the blimp"                                       |

// glenn@scifi.com                                                       |