libgtk1.2-dev uninstallable

This is a potato system kept up to date with the most recent additions
to proposed-updates, and security.

In an effort to solve a problem I have with Sawmill menus, I tried to
install the package libgtk1.2-dev, but got the response below:

root# apt-get install libgtk1.2-dev
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  libgtk1.2-dev: Depends: libgtk1.2 (= 1.2.7-1) but 1.2.8-1 is to be
  installed
E: Sorry, broken packages
root#
I have the most recent version of libgtk1.2:

root# apt-get install libgtk1.2
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Sorry, libgtk1.2 is already the newest version
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

This is my sources.list:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
deb http://non-US.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/proposed-updates/