Installing pcf fonts

Hi, I'm trying to install the snap font of blackbox fame for use with gnome and sawfish. The file is snap.pcf. I don't know that much about fonts, but I've tried putting the file in each of /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi, /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi, /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc. After putting it in each dir I did a mkfontdir and then restarted xfs and X. I have as yet been unable to get the "snap" font to show up in my gnome font selector. All the pcf files seem to be gzipped so I've also tried the above after gzipping snap.pcf, but still no
luck. Any thoughts? -Jeff