gnome-name-service

Issue:

Every web browser I use will lock up X hard and requires hitting reset.
They lock up not all the time, but enough to be annoying. I may
have stumbled into the problem, but not certain. So, heres the question:

What is gnome-name-server?

What does it do? There is not a man page. The net seems to lack much info also.

Could gnome-name-server be the source of the about problem?

If so, how do I disable it or make it work better?

Really would love whatever info everyone has.
Looking forward to eliminating a problem that has followed me since Slink.
I'm running Woody now.

Kevin