Re: SSH (was Telent)

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 16:42:19 +1100, John Griffiths writes:
>>First off don't use telnet...use ssh instead. Telnet isn't secure at
>>all because
>>it's completely clear text. And yes, there are debs for the ssh system
>>(but you'll need a non-US deb source).
>
>what clients do you recommend?

openssh (apt-get install ssh), be sure to have a non-US-source like
 deb ftp://ftp.at.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main \
  contrib non-free
in your /etc/apt/sources.list

>what command would i invoke? (for instance i've always just done "telnet
>foo.foo.com)

"ssh foo.foo.com" if the server has a sshd running.

>do i need keys established at both ends?

you should, but it´s also possible to use password-authentication.

>i'd really appreciate this advice.. particularly free windows telnet
>clients (windows desktop, debian servers)

I´m fond of teraterm (with ssh-extension), try your favourite search
 engine (for the ssh-ext., search for "ttssh").

hth,
&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /