Re: setting gateway IP from command line

On Wednesday 22 November 2000 16:40, abramo@speakeasy.net wrote:
> I'm sure this is a very basic question but I have zero experience
> with debian.  I work at a computer shop and we installed debian on a
> pair of new machines for a customer.  He needs to assign an IP and
> gateway to one of them and could not figure out how to do it so he
> brought the machines back to us and begged.  We are basically a
> windows only house.  I'm the only linux user and all of my experience
> is with mandrake and slackware.  I've always used X in both and there
> is no X on this machine.
>
> I just need the command name and I can do it from there.
>
> Thanks all!

Edit /etc/network/interfaces.  Basically it will be something like

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.1.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	gateway  192.168.1.254

Other settings are possible.  Man ifup and interfaces for details.

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>