good sound cards?

Hello,

I am adding sound to my debian machine and have had bad luck so far*.
Could those of you fine list subscribers that have had a positive,
enriching experience with installing and using your sound card on your
GNU/Linux machine please send me the name of your sound card. Also, if
you don't mind, please let me know roughly what it cost you.

Thanks,
Krafty

* I purchased a card (au8810 chipset) based information I found on the
LinuxHardwareDatabase only to find that the card required a PnPBios; my
bios (for the asus A7V) detects the sound card while in PnP mode but not
my NIC (which is only detected in non-PnP mode). So I am returning the
sound card and keeping the NIC. Plus, Aureal went out of business
recently. Go figure.