SCSI

Brandt,

On-topic: I too have always heard good things about IBM SCSI drives;
you might also want to consider getting multiple smaller SCSI drives
(maybe 4.5 Gb or so) used on eBay and it might turn out to be much
cheaper than the two larger 18 Gb (especially since HD are relatively
sturdy compared to memory or other things and buying multiple, even
used, would spread your risk so any single one going bad would not be
too much of a loss).  Also, it seems that since this is a game server
(rather than an enterprise-type server) the additional cost for brand
new drives might not be worthwhile depending on a budget.  A similar
argument might be made for the Adaptec on eBay.  I fyou want new,
check pricewatch.com of course, for pretty much best prices on
commodity components around.

2nd question: I've always used cheap Tulip-based Linksys 10/100 NIC's
for around $14 each, but I've sometimes had configuration headaches
(all now resolved).  Most people who can spend more money seem very
happy with Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 (maybe $80???).  You
shouldn't have to spend anywhere near $150 for most general purpose
NIC's to work fine with linux.

Off-topic: As for "poke-fun-at-the-linux-user": why not suggest they
be the file-sharing server and see how windows handles it?

HTH,

-Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman