Re: Group `disk'

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 11:49:08AM +0000, Tom Huckstep wrote:
> Ekkehard Kraemer writes:
>  > Yup, you can write on /dev/hda, format it, whatever you like, if you're
>  > in "disk".
>
> This seems a big security risk just so I can play audio CDs.  Is there
> a better way to give a user the ability to play CDs without giving
> them permissions to wipe my hard disk?

Someone else has already suggested changing the appropriate device's group
ownership from disk to cdrom and making yourself a member of that group
instead.  An alternate approach would be to make the CD-ROM's device
world-readable.  (Doing it this way does open you up to the possibility of
another user changing your CD from sequential to random play over the
internet, but I don't consider that to be a significant threat...)

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+