changing debian menu

I'm trying to use the debian menu program adding a menu item to the "Main
Menu."  I can successful add menu items to any sub directory under "Main
Menu" but accessing the item in this way is one more click I don't need.
For example in /etc/menu/netscape I add the following -

?package(netscape):\
        needs=X11\
        section="Netscape"\
        title="netscape"\
        command="netscape"

This will place the menu item under a sub directory named "Netscape" under
the
"Main directory."  What I want is this menu item to show up directly under
"Main Menu."  I've tried section="Main Menu" but that isn't allowed.  I'm
using fvwm for a window manager.  My best guess is /etc/menu-methods/fvwm
would have to be modified in order for me to do this but I'm not sure.  If
it does have to be modified it would take me weeks to figure it out.  Does
anyone know how I could do this?  I wish I could just edit
/etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook and be done with it but each time, as I know the
docs say, it is overwritten each time I restart "X."
Thanks,
kent