Re: HELP!!!

hi again,

thanks for all of your help so far-

i've gotten to the point where i need to 'install' the driver.  the 3com
instructions read:

    3.  Run the installer by issuing the following command (note the
        root shell prompt of #):

        # ./install3c90x

        If the file is not executable, change the file permissions
        to make it executable:

        # chmod +x install3c90x

        The installation script places the 3c90x driver module
        into the appropriate directory under /lib/modules.

this, of course, doesn't work as advertised :-(

after unpacking the contents of the tar file (admittedly on my windows
machine, and then transferring the files via floppy), i found a directory
called "i486", which contained different versions of 3c90x.o - for what
appeared to be different kernel versions.  i have kernel version 2.2.12.
i copied the closest version to that that i could find (2.2.12-20) into
/lib/modules/2.2.12/net, then typed:

# insmod 3c90x

and got this message:

./3c90x.0: kernel-module version mismatch
	./3c90x.o was compiled for kernel version 2.2.12-20
	while this kernel is version 2.2.12

so now i'm stuck again (although this error message is SO much friendlier
than anything i've ever seen in windows).

any thoughts?  if there's a url for a driver, please send it along.  if
you want to email me the driver directly (i don't even know if that's a
good idea, but it sounds okay), please send it brett@brettsinger.com.

thanks again for all of your help!

-b