Re: alsactl problem

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 02:17:12AM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:

> I'm just using alsa for the first time. It seems to be configured and
> working ok; xmms works, I have /dev/asound directory with lots of files
> in it, and so on. But alsactl does not work:
>
> root@silk:~>alsactl store
> alsactl: No soundcards found...
>
> Strace shows it is trying to open a lot of files in /dev like /dev/snd/*
> and /dev/aload*. I don't have any of those device files, what is
> supposed to create them?

Try if there is a script called "snddevices" on your system. I
compiled alsa from source and on my system the script is in
/usr/local/src/alsa-driver-0.5.9d

>From INSTALL:

4) Run the './snddevices' script to create new sound devices in /dev
directory.
Skip this step, if you have a kernel with the DEVFS support.

Phil