Re: Group `disk'

On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 11:35:03AM +0000, Tom Huckstep wrote:
> I added myself to the `disk' group because I wanted to be able to play

don't do that.

> audio CDs.  However, I noticed that this gives me write access to all
> my hard disk device files.  Does this mean I will be able to format
> them with fdisk and write arbitary data to them by doing e.g. cat >
> /dev/hda?

yup, you can freely scribble all over all your drives/partitions.

> That would be too much of a risk for my liking, and I don't want to
> do a test to see if it is true!

its very true, instead you should add yourself to group `cdrom' and
run `chgrp cdrom /dev/hdc' or whatever device your CDROM is at.  then
you will have access to the read only cdrom but nothing else.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/