Re: global file for exporting variables (not profile)

"Cameron Matheson" <mkarl1@uswest.net> wrote:
>I need a file that I could export variables such as MESA_GLX_FX (ones
>that do not depend on the shell), but I don't know of one, please, if
>you know of one, share it with me.

Try /etc/environment. This is read by pam_env, which needs to be
configured for the appropriate services in /etc/pam.d, but that's the
default in Debian so you should be OK. See section 6.5 of
/usr/share/doc/libpam-doc/html/pam.html if you have the libpam-doc
package installed.