Re: Debian 2.2 installer boot floppys

In a galaxy not too far away, Chris Howells spoke on Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 09:55:25AM +0000:
> I have just obtained the full three CD-ROM Debian CD-ROM set. I wish to
> try it out on my old computer first, which does not have a CD-ROM drive
> capable of booting.
>
> Therefore I must make a boot floppy.
>
> I used rawrite to create a floppy from the image install/rescue.bin,
> which boots the machine up with syslinux, and then asks for "Insert root
> floppy disk to be loaded...". So, I made a floppy with the image of
> install/root.bin.
i hope you created it with dd/rawrite and did not just copy root.bin on
it...

> When I take the first (rescue.bin) floppy out, and put this one
> (root.bin) instead I get a 'Kernel Panic: "Unable to mount root fs?"'
>
> I asked on #debian about this, and was told that I needed to edit the
> file syslinux.cfg on one of the floppies, yet I am unsure how to do this
> (or why even -- all I want to do is start the installer from the
> CD-ROM?). They won't mount under Linux Mandrake (on my other machine),
> to edit the file, even if I specify
>
> mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

i can't imagine that this is really necessary. have you tried different
floppies ? - they are an extremely unreliable medium... maybe you should
even try to d/l the image again - there could have been some error during
downloading it.

of course you can't mount these floppys as ext2 (or any other fs) - they
just contain an image (or, in the case of root.bin, a compressed image)
of a filesystem.
if you have the loop-device compiled in your kernel, you can mount the
images in the following way:

mount -o loop rescue.bin /mnt

or

mv root.bin root.bin.gz;gunzip root.bin.gz;mount -o loop root.bin /mnt

btw, syslinux.cfg is in rescue.bin ...

hope that helps,
/stefan.