Re: DMODVERSIONS causing a lot of problems

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 at 12:40:27 +0100, robert_wilhelm_land wrote:
> This is the log:
>
> MINI:~/drivers/sound/aureal# make install20
> make install AUCHIP=AU8820
> make[1]: Entering directory `/root/drivers/sound/aureal'
> cc -D__KERNEL__  -DMODULE -DAU8820 -mpentium  -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer
> -Wall -pipe -I /usr/src/linux/kernel-source-2.2.17/include   -c -o
> au_audio.o au_audio.c

[snip] Looks like it's progressing nicely.

> Guessing "gawk" is a tool and "man gawk" failed - I tried a "apt-cache
> search gawk" which returned the package:
>
> dpkg-awk

Ah, no - you want the 'gawk' package itself.

[cjw44@riva ~]$ dpkg -p gawk
Package: gawk
Section: interpreters
Installed-Size: 708
Maintainer: James Troup <awkmaint@nocrew.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1:3.0.4-4
[...]

I'm not sure why 'apt-cache search gawk' didn't show that for you - it
does for me (on both potato and woody systems).

> Besides, emacs causes some difficulties:
> I edited the makefile first and closed emacs. Then I realized that I
> had missed something and opened the same makefile with emacs again.
> Any editing command failed with a beep and a remark buffer read-only.
> What had happened?

Odd. Does the user you're running emacs as have write permissions to the
file? Although admittedly then vi wouldn't work either. I don't use
emacs, so I can't really help here.

> At the end only vi helped - puh... what a difficult editor to use...

vi (well, vim, anyway) is the One True Editor. :)