Re: Netscape 6.0

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 11:29:15PM -0500, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've installed Netscape 6.0 for a friend of mine.  It looks pretty
> cool, finally the user can change displayed font size without going to
> preferences...  The ugly HTML forms' elements are gone, too.  However
> the product seems to be too slow; it looks like a lot of debugging
> stuff is still in the executable.
>
> We encountered two problems, and I wonder if anyone could help me
> fight those.
>
> 1.  The activation procedure.  We went throught hte registration stuff
> once, but it failed.  Then we restarted, entered the same
> username+password, and it wasn't recognizing the pair.  In the end
> Netscape gave up and just started the browser.  But now every time it
> is started anew, an activation dialog comes up (completely blank) for
> a few seconds, then dissappears, and Netscape starts.  Any ideas how
> to rerun Activation or get rid of this 15-seconds delay?

yes, remove netscape 6 and run:

apt-get update
apt-get install mozilla

mozilla is much better then netscape 6 which is just an older mozilla
snapshot with lots of AOL crap layered on top.   however mozilla is
still a bit sluggish compared to netscape 4 (mostly in the UI, the
rendering tends to be faster)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/