Re: old NIC

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 08:10:47PM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 12:32:03AM +0100, alsonm@linuxfreak.com wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 06:27:40PM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> > >     Hey guys. I just tossed an older Cicero ISA 10 Meg NIC in my old i486 box.
> > > It says that it's ne2k compatible, but that module requires me to figure out
> > > what io address and irq it's supposed to use.
> > >     Any idea how I can find that out?
> > try io's between 0x100 and 0x400, steps of 10 (remember this is hex)
> > irq will probably be autodetected
> >
> > if it's pnp you can use isapnp to configure/findout the io
>
>     Trial and error sucks. Apparently it's pnp, so how do I find out the io
> port with isapnp. I didn't see that in the manpage.
try pnpdump -c > /etc/isapnp.conf
this will try to auto-configure your pnp stuff (the use of pnp imho)
then run 'isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf' and you will see the io's and irq's allocated by your pnp devices, your nic should be listed there.
then you can do a modprobe ne2000 io=0x### with the io listed by isapnp for your nic, possibly you need to specify irq too, though usually autodetected

if auto-config fails (for some difficult pnp configs), run pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf and edit /etc/isapnp.conf by hand, uncomment the right things, and run isapnp as described above, then you maybe have to read some isapnp docs, but autoconfig usually works.

--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:       alson@linuxfreak.nl       <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
Where's the GUI on this thing?