Debian Package HOWTO. Who ?

No day without questions or complaints about the debian package system.

Yesterday it was Hugo van der Merwe.
A couple of more or less random selected lines from his message:
 > ... some easy way to sync the selections with
 >     what is currently installed ...
 > I admit to not have researched this properly ...

Each new user has to do his own research, has to make many mistakes.
I think this is a ridiculous situation.

It seems to be a policy of the debian-in-group not to talk about
the mechanism behind the package system: files that are being
read or written are hardly mentioned in the user documentation.
Looks like they adhere to the data hiding principle.

What we need is a HOWTO-like document that explains everything
about the files in the background: which file is read or written
or updated in what way when you use any option or command.

For instance what happens when you do a 'dselect update' with the
apt access method. Or what happens or does not happen when you hit
any of the action keys while in a dselect dependency screen.
Not to mention all the dpkg options.

Is there anybody who understands all (or most) of it and can write
a decent howto ?

egbert
--
Egbert Bouwman - Keizersgracht 197 II - 1016 DS  Amsterdam - 020 6257991