Does the stock kernel support VESA Framebuffers?

I'm trying to run X on my Dell Inspiron 3700 with Debian. I've got X running, but it hangs when I try to do a suspend. All of the howto's I've read say that, in order for suspend to work, I need to be using the FBdev xserver... which requires that I start with framebuffers turned on with the "vga=791" command at boot time.

However, whenever I try this, I don't get the neat penguin logo that everyone says I'm supposed to get. I get this psychotic lava-lamp looking things that acts as if I'm turning the brightness on my laptop up too high. People have suggested that the kernel doesn't have VESA framebuffer support compiled in. Does anyone know if this is so?

- Joe