Gnome Web Links

Hi, I used to use RedHat and Helix Gnome before switching to Debian. In my RH/Helix environment I could drag a web link from mozilla or netscape onto the desktop to create a handy internet link that would bring up netscape when I double-clicked on it and load the referenced page. Since switching to Debian this no longer works, now when I drag a web link onto the desktop it just creates a file with a really strange name like urfoZDShW or something. Does anyone know what configuration I have to do to get gnome to create the handy web links for me? I am now using Debian Gnome, not Helix Gnome. Thanks. -Jeff