Re: emails newbie

At 12:04 15-11-00 +0000, you wrote:
Can anyone help me to configure my box to send and receive email i don't know where to start. messed around with exim but seem to have messed it up. I really am starting from scratch. I can connect to the internet using pon but that's all
thanks
jm

You needs exim to sent messages to your isp's smtp server (smarthost) or to local users. In my case, running the eximconf script was enough to get it working right away. I did not have to change anything in /etc/exim.conf. But it is best to check the exim.conf file after running eximconf anyway.

Exim is not able to retrieve messages from your isp's pop server(s). You need fetchmail for that. Fetchmail uses a fetchmailrc files which you have to make and which contains information about the pop server it has to retrieve mail from, username and password and usually which user fetchmail has to send the messages to.

You need a Mail User Agent (MUA) to read the messages and compose new messages. Mutt is a very good MUA.

For more details:
www.exim.org
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Mail-Administrator-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Mail-User-HOWTO/index.html