Need hardware recommendations

I have to get a new (desktop) system for my home use, and wanted to get
recommendations from this list about some of the hardware components.

I will be scavenging a sound card (SB PCI 128), video card (Matrox
Millennium G200), and CD-ROM (Creative 52x) from the current desktop
which will subsequently be turned into a headless server.

Price isn't too much of a consideration since this desktop system will
be a business expense and I will be leasing the system, but I don't want
to go overboard :)

(1) Motherboard

I intend to get a P-III CPU (probably 800EB). One store from where I got
a quote recommended the ASUS CUSL2 i815e mobo. My current system has a
BX-based ABIT BH6 which has served me well. Anyone care to comment on
ASUS boards (I have almost always heard good things about them) ?
Recommendations/opinions/experiences for other boards (Tyan, Soyo)
including current ABIT offerings ?

BTW, I don't plan to overclock this system.

(2) SCSI

I intend to have a SCSI hard drive for this system, and maybe later a
SCSI CD-Burner (see below). In a recent thread on this list, I heard
someone mention the Adaptec Ultra160-based 29160N card.

Which is newer: an UltraWide2-based card, or an Ultra160-based card ?

I am not sure about which HD to consider. I need a SCSI HD >= 10 Gb.

I haven't ever had a system with SCSI components, so is there anything
else I should know ? I'd prefer to stick with the latest SCSI
technology.

(3) Printer

I am considering the HP 1100 laser printer. But have heard good things
about Lexmark printers (Optra 310/E310/E312). I am looking for a laser
printer that is capable of 600dpi (at least), and is easy to setup under
Linux (of course!). It would be nice to get a printer that is supported
under both Linux and FreeBSD, as I do intend to run FreeBSD on this
machine from time to time.

One odd thing I noticed about the HP 1100's specs on HP's site is that
Windows 2000 is not listed under the supported OSes. Is this true ? I
need a printer that works under Windows 2000 in addition to Linux.

(4) Network Card

I need a good 10/100 PCI card. How well are DLINK cards (e.g. DLINK
10/100 RTL) supported under Linux ? I was considering the 3Com
905/vortex PCI card[*], as I have had a linux system with it and it
worked flawlessly.

(5) CD-Burner

I was told that SCSI CD-Burners tend to perform the best under Linux and
cause the least problems, which is why I decided to go SCSI in this new
system. Plextor has been recommended. Are there any other SCSI CD
burners that work well under Linux ?

(6) Removable storage

How well are Iomega zip and Jaz drives supported ? I haven't ever worked
with removable storage media, so I'd appreciate any info about which
ones to consider.

TIA for any suggestions/comments/etc.

--
Salman Ahmed