Re: servers running debian

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 02:35:10PM -0500, Jesse Goerz wrote:
> ===On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, Brad wrote:
>     >
>     > I know of one, although it was running RedHat until i took on the job.
>     > Personally, i find Debian _much_ easier to keep up-to-date. The day
>     > something new is released for potato, a cronjob emails me and asks me to
>
> How do you set that up?  (The cron job I mean.)  Where are you
> checking to see if something new is realeased?

Put lines for your favorite Debian mirrors, for security.debian.org, and
for proposed-updates if you want into your apt sources.list. Something
like this:
 deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
 deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
 deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
 deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/potato-proposed-updates/

As someone else posted, you could create your own local mirror if you
have several boxen.

Then have a cronjob run apt-get update and apt-get --download-only
upgrade, checking the output lines to see if anything was actually
downloaded. i'm currently using a perl regexp to look at the "X packages
upgraded, Y newly installed, Z to remove and W not upgraded" line, and
having it give cron some output to email if X, Y, Z, or W are not the
expected values.

Finally, when you get notice that something is available, apt-get -s
upgrade and check what it wants to do, and apt-get upgrade if it looks
good.

--
  finger for GPG public key.