Re: Debian 2.2 crashes with Netscape..help

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 02:18:27PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> This isn't a crash, it's a system slowdown.

The 'VM' messages seem to hint to Virtual Memory problems, however.
I've read that the latest 2.2.x kernels have some VM problems.

> Almost certainly resulting
> from insufficient free memory.  Netscape is a memory pig, and 32 MB RAM
> is almost certainly insufficient given the clients you're running --
> GNOME is also fairly intensive.
>
> Get more memory, get a better box, or ditch GNOME and/or Netscape.  96 -
> 128 MB is recommended for a typical current-generation workstation.

When I had only 16 MB on my laptop, I was able to run gnome and Netscape.
Gnome (or KDE) took 2 minutes to start and Netscape took 1 minute,
but I could (barely) use them. I found out that the combo
WindowMaker+Netscape produced a workable setup.
(I did upgraded it to 80 MB, though).

The real memory pig is X itself (on my laptop, it took about 8 MB of RSS).
I found out that using only 16 bits per pixel (that is 65535 colors)
helped a bit.
I also proceeded to reduce the number of running daemons, including
the number of getty, removing any unneeded services ( and on a Laptop this
means almost all ).

Anyway my desktop with 'only' 64 MB has no problems (I run Gnome,
netscape/mozilla, postgreSQL, apache, ... ).

Ciao.
--
FB