eSound problem with old SB16

hi,

sorry if this question is out of topic, but maybe this is a
configuration problem and someone may help me ... :)

I have an old SB16, which works great when used by OSS driver.
When I try to use eSound for multiplexing, it sounds
broken, as if it were playing a scratched old LP. Even if only one
client (XMMS, freeamp, or the gnome sounds) is using the "esd"
daemon. The exception is the mpg123-esd player, which seems to work
fine.

I just can't figure out the reason for the bug, anyone has any hint about what
could be causing it ?

thanx

:-)

jan

ps.: my machine is an Athlon650, so I guess speed is not the problem,
nor memory.

ps2.: I'm using the 2.4.0-test9 kernel

ps2.: "$ dmesg" regarding the sound driver:

Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb: No ISAPnP cards found, trying standard ones...
SB 4.13 detected OK (220)
<Sound Blaster 16 (4.13)> at 0x220 irq 7 dma 1,5
<Sound Blaster 16> at 0x330 irq 7 dma 0,0