isdnutils upgrade - crazy!!!

I did a a dist-upgrade (Woody) with apt yesterday using my isdn
connection. One of the upgraded apps was isdnutils. Fine, I
thought, then my machine logged off and went about
installing the downloaded packages as it has many, many
times before.

Then I noticed that the isdnutils package had been split up
and that the necessary ipppd package had not been
downloaded. The catch 22 was that I could no longer log on
to get it!! That is crazy. Fortunately I had access to an
old Slink CD-ROM and was able to install an old version is
isdnutils so that I could log on and install ipppd.

I was forewarned about the package split, but assumed apt
would sort it out correctly, maybe looking at what was
already running on my system or by downloading all parts of
the new package and later allowing me to reject what I
didn't need.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000