Re: e2fsck permission denied, file system read only, ...

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 10:58:14PM -0500, Paindavoine, Matthieu (MPAINDAV) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently decided to make my computer slimmer, and removed a couple of
> packages (mostly related to emacs). Shortly after, vim wouldn't work
> anymore, giving errors with "libXi.so.6 cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory", although that lib was there... And when I ended up
> rebooting the whole thing, it didn't get passed the fsck, saying that the
> root file system is mounted read only. I looked at /sbin/e2fsck, and it's
> permission is set to br-xr-S--x, so I can't fire it up.
                       ^^^^^^^^^^

uh nice, fsck is fscked ;-)

thats a setgid, not group executable not world readable block device.

> I welcome any suggestion (what else can I do at this point!). Thanks!

your filesystem is corrupted, hopefully not too severely but you will
need to boot from a rescue floppy to fsck / and then see what is still
hosed after that, you will likely need to reinstall e2fsprogs, and
perhaps some other packages if you find further corrupted files.

what kernel are you running?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/