e2fsck permission denied, file system read only, ...

Hello,

I recently decided to make my computer slimmer, and removed a couple of
packages (mostly related to emacs). Shortly after, vim wouldn't work
anymore, giving errors with "libXi.so.6 cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory", although that lib was there... And when I ended up
rebooting the whole thing, it didn't get passed the fsck, saying that the
root file system is mounted read only. I looked at /sbin/e2fsck, and it's
permission is set to br-xr-S--x, so I can't fire it up.
I welcome any suggestion (what else can I do at this point!). Thanks!

Matt