unbootable 2.4.0-test10

Hello,

After an unproblematic build of 2.4.0-test10 kernel (using make-kpkg)
for my woody based (SMP) computer rebooting results in:

boot: 240-smp1
Uncompressing Linux, OK, booting the kernel
<NOTING HAPPENS AFTER THIS POINT, reset or power toggle is the only
way out>

I wonder, what is the possible cause of this hang, and how to solve that?

I've built 2.2.x custom kernels (enabling SMP, alsa-modules,
lm-sensors, i2c) without any problems before.

A few questions:

1. Which differences (if any) are there between 2.2.x and 2.4.x
   regarding boot sequence?

2. Any changes needed in the BIOS setup?

3. Which modules have to be compiled into the kernel? For 2.2.x I
   found that the scsi driver aic7xxx had to be compiled in, not used
   as a module. I have both IDE and SCSI disks installed as well as
   IDE CDROM and SCSI CDRW.

4. If there are problems with module loading, shouldn't the boot
   proceed further than above? I have the latest versions of modutils
   (2.3.19-1) and mount (2.10o-1). Eventually the modules.conf file is
   not optimized for 2.4.0 (it is for 2.2.17).

5. Can I boot the kernel(s) 2.2.17 and 2.4.0-test10 by moving away
   modules.conf, for testing purposes?

6. Since the configuration order in the .config files have changed between
   2.2.x and 2.4.0 it is not so easy to compare them. Any hints?

Hoping for help.
Svante Signell