Re: cannot find the Kernelimage aft compiling

Andrew wrote:

> >Something must have gone wrong because the system now complains about
> >"unresoloved symboles" after the phrase " calculating module
> >dependancies".
> >

> This often happens - did you rm all the old modules first?
> I know this is a little risky, so you probably should take the system
> down to single-user first, but this usually works:
>
> rm /lib/modules/`uname -r` -rf
> make modules_install
>
> If you are being save, then use
>
> mv /lib/modules/`uname -r` /lib/modules/`uname -r`.bak
> make modules_install

What exactly happens when the system runs at single user level? Does
this affect the stability of the system when deleting the modules.
Unfortunatly the modules were directly installed in /lib, no 2.2.17
subdirectory as I would have expected.
Even more badly, I mv'd all modules in /lib to my ~/ directory
expecting the OS still to work assuming all relevant OS routines are
located in RAM. Bad idea - no 'cp', no 'mv' , no nothing, the system
is completely useless. I guess if I'm not able to get a small linux
system on a floppy to work I have to install all over again.  This is
really desperating..

> The unresolved symbols are in all the modules for which the kernel no
> longer contains support. The error messages are given by the command
> "depmod -a", which Debian automagically runs at boot, JIC. You don't
> actually need them, and they cannot be loaded. They will not prevent the
> viable modules from loading correctly, so you could just ignore the
> error messages.

Thank you very much for the helpful information. But I guess it did
affect my realtek module because the OS reported that the card would
be 'disabled' (can't remember exactly the message).

> >To make the day perfect, lilo refuses to accept any key (the old
> >kernel is supposed to be booted with alias 2) and boots by default the
> >new kernel remarking alias 1....
> >Lilo.conf is aswell attached to this mail.
> >

> The lilo.conf file attached contained the line
>
> boot=/dev/hda2
>
> For this to work, a first stage boot loader is required, as lilo is not
> installed into the MBR - is this what you intended? And what do you have
> in your MBR? Could it feasibly be replaced with lilo/chos/grub?
>
> What exactly are you doing? You do not have a prompt line in your
> lilo.conf, so you will have to be holding down shift when the word LILO
> appears on the screen at boot, to get the prompt to appear. When the
> prompt comes up, hit TAB. What do you see?

Which line should I edit to make the prompt line appear? Your
suggestion to hold the shift worked perfectly ( & tab) , both kernel
aliases were then printed on screen.
There must be something in the MBR because the xfdisk boot manager was
removed after installing lilo. w95 is on hda1, deb2.2 is on hda5,
actually I was very surprised reading "boot=/dev/hda2" in lilo.conf
because I cannot remember creating a second primary partition on hda!

Robert