Re: subnets & 2 NICS in a mashine

In a galaxy not too far away, Robert Guthrie spoke on Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 01:29:24PM -0600:
> On Thursday 09 November 2000 12:05, robert_wilhelm_land wrote:
> > Robert Guthrie wrote:
> > > Now, I'm not quite sure what your setup is here, so let see if your setup
> > > is the same as mine...
> > >
> > > 1 linux box, serving NFS and SMB to 2 desktops that dual-boot linux and
> > > windows 98.
> > >
> > > Under linux, I mount (among other things), /home over nfs, so that when I
> > > log in to any linux computer, I have the same files available.
> >
> > Thats a good idea! Does this mean that all settings (X11, fvwm2, the
> > whole enviroment) will be used on the client?
> >
> Well, not exactly;  If you have, say 5 computers that have different video
> cards, you'll want them configured differently (XF86config file).
>
> You'll probably need to add the same software to each workstation to support
> the same set of window managers and other applications.  You could share /usr
> over nfs, and that _MIGHT_ work, but it'd be slow; plus, that could cause
> SERIOUS problems with package management.
Sharing /usr works (that's what i do at my site, and i'm using / over nfs on a
lot of machines too), but you you have to configure some things in /etc by hand
that would normally be done by the package installation scripts.
If you want to do this, sharing /etc/alternatives and /etc/texmf, /var/lib/texmf
/var/spool/texmf is generally a good idea. Package management is done on the
server only, of course - thats the reason why i do this. For only 5 computers
the benefits of this my not be that large, but it could be handy if you want
to use some old machine without harddisk as X terminal.

> Mostly, I just share home out so that I have the same www bookmarks, same
> mail folders, and same custom scripts (under ~/bin) available to me.  There
> are lots of issues when you do this kind of thing, though (you have to make
> sure your /etc/group and /etc/passwd files are synchronised across the LAN,
> so that every machine identifies group and user ownership correctly.
Usually NIS or LDAP are used for synchronizing user/group information across
your network. IMHO nis is much easier to set up, but also less secure and lacks
a lot of LDAP's features - but for only a few computers behind a firewall
nis should be enough. You could do 'apt-get install nis' and read the nis-howto
in /usr/doc/nis.

> > > Under windows, I map a drive letter (H:) to an SMB share of my home
> > > directory, accomplishing roughly the same thing.
> > >
> > > I do this all on one network.  I use another machine (on the same
> > > network) as a router/gateway/firewall to my dial-up account.
> > >
> > > Now, are you serving 3 computers with your nfs/smb linux box in roughly
> > > the same way as I am?
> >
> > I just wanted to spare (at least for some time) a switch, therefore
> > had the idea to plug 2 NICS into the linux server who serves 1 Win95
> > box and 1 linux box.
> >
> > > Is there some reason you want to use two different NICs?
> >

> You can usually support 10 or more computers over NFS and SMB shares before
> you start seeing bandwith problems (on 10Mbits, on 100Mbits, you have more
> bandwidth that you can shake a stick at).
>
> > Networks are a very difficult area, it is just attempt to understand
> > the simplest things...
> >
> Again, I think you're compicating your life by creating 2 subnets to support
> only 2 computers.
>
> > > Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
> > > will hear the voice of Satan?
> > >
> > > That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.

*GGG*, had to find out that the hard way, recently...