Masquerading -- Am I missing something?

Ok, I recently got a Maxtor 80Gb HD, so I figured I'd start with a fresh
install of Potato on my system. My problem is that I can't seem to get a
kernel that gives me both IP Masquerading and support for the drive.

Now, on the kernels that the Masquerading fails on, it isn't a total
failure.
Basic masquerading works fine, but when I try to use, say, "Asheron's Call"
or "MusicMatch station selector" on one of the machines on my subnet, it
fails (I can, however, do simple functions like read Debian's webpage).

In all attempts, running "/etc/init.d/ipmasq start" resulted in no errors.

This was a symptom I was seeing when using 2.0.* kernels, so I assumed that
the current kernel I was working with was a bad version. Here's a history
of my attempts after making that assumption:

2.2.12: Masquerading works fine, Drive gives strange errors
2.2.15: Masquerading doesn't work, Drive works fine
2.2.17: Same as .15
2.4.0-test5: Won't boot. "Out of Memory" error while decompressing.

So, my question basically is-- is there a kernel that works? Or is there
some obscure kernel option that I'm not including that I need to include?
(to the best of my knowledge, there are no significant differences between
the config options for the different kernels.)

Any help would be appreiciated,
	Mike