desktop power managment

I have a cheap MyFavoritePC celeron 400 with added ram and hard disk space.
 It works pretty well and fast with Linux.

One thing I haven't been able to get it to do is shutdown the computer and
power it off.  I tried both kernel options for power down, both real mode,
and real mode disabled.  I've looked at the halt command in the init
scripts and it has the -p option passed to it.  I have no idea what's
wrong.  The computer turns off correctly with Win 2k and win98.

Another thing is if I put the computer to sleep by apm -s, it wakes up in 2
minutes or so.  I even disabled cron, (leaving anacron running) and the
computer still wakes up on its own after about 2 minutes of sleeping.  This
occurs with all my desktop computers.  I have never been able to keep a
desktop computer with linux asleep.  What am I doing wrong?  Is there
something i'm not checking?

Any advice, help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
David